La Crosse County Highway Shop« Return to Project Search
When the La Crosse County Highway Department’s shop was built in 1949, it served the County well. Fifty years later, the County identified several problems with the facility: insufficient work bays, poor vehicle circulation in and out of the facility, inadequate heating and plumbing, outdated electrical service, and a general need for maintenance and repair.
The Highway Department retained Ayres to design an addition and remodeling. The resulting project involved more than 53,000 square feet and included a 21,944-square-foot repair shop addition and a 3,000-square-foot office addition. The office space allowed the Highway Commission offices to be moved from the courthouse in downtown La Crosse to the shop site. Remodeling involved 28,105 square feet of the existing facility, including nine bays. Services included remodeling four repair bays, two wash bays, and one sign shop bay; replacing the existing shop floor; remodeling the existing parts area; remodeling the existing toilet/locker and boiler/storage areas; and upgrading the heating and ventilation system.
Site improvements included relocating the fueling station, adding a truck scale, relocating employee parking, and reserving a recently purchased residential site for a future highway department office building.
Project InformationClient's Name
La Crosse County Highway DepartmentLocation
La Crosse, WIPrimary Service