Over the years, we’ve been honored to welcome some of the most talented minds in the industry to our team, and our partners benefit from their knowledge, guidance, and expertise.
Senior Hydraulic Engineer
Fort Collins, CO
"Pete puts together the best project teams that we've ever worked with. They are the cream of the crop. Ayres always delivers on time, and Pete is legendary."David Reynaud
National Cooperative Highway Research Program
I am a lead bridge hydraulics engineer. Before entering private practice in 1981, I gained 20 years of engineering experience with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and academic assignments at the U.S. Military Academy, West Point, New York.
Since 1989 I have been principal instructor for Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) projects to develop and present training courses on stream stability and scour at highway bridges. As part of these projects, I am senior author of HEC-20, "Stream Stability at Highway Structures," and HEC-23, "Bridge Scour and Stream Instability Countermeasures." I am also a technical contributor to HEC-18, "Scour at Bridges."
I prepared the Instructor Guide and Participant Workbook that support the National Highway Institute (NHI) Training Course on Stream Stability and Scour at Bridges and managed, scheduled, and participated in the presentation of this course more than 200 times to state departments of transportation. In cooperation with FHWA reviewers, I recently completed extensive revisions of this course and developed NHI's new countermeasure design course. I've received Instructor of Excellence awards from NHI for my teaching work in 2010, 2012, and 2019.
My areas of expertise include:
- River engineering
- Stream stability and scour at bridges
- Development and presentation of NHI courses
- Project management
- River hydraulics and morphology
- Coastal processes
- Erosion and sedimentation
- Bridge scour evaluation
- Geomorphic studies
- Bridge scour and stability analysis
- Instructor for NHI course "Stream Stability and Scour at Highway Structures"
- Author of HEC-20, "Stream Stability at Highway Bridges"
- Author of HEC-23, "Bridge Scour and Stream Instability Countermeasures"
- Technical and QA/QC of Phase 1 and 2 bridge evaluations
- Co-principal on scour monitoring device development
- Hydraulics and morphology of river systems
- Co-author of HDS-6, "Highways in the River Environment"
- PhD, Civil Engineering (Hydraulics), Colorado State University
- MS, Civil Engineering (Coastal), University of California, Berkeley
- BS, Civil Engineering, West Point
- Registered Professional Engineer, CO