Since he joined Ayres in 1990, Jan has progressed from a structural engineer position to serving as executive vice president. He began his career designing bridges in the Eau Claire, Wisconsin, headquarters and later held management positions in the Waukesha and Madison offices in southern Wisconsin.
Jan relocated to Arizona in 2006 to foster the growth of a new Ayres office in the Phoenix metro area. In 2008 he was promoted to executive vice president and returned to the corporate headquarters. Jan oversees operations in the Southwest, as well as geospatial and Midwest transportation and environmental operations. Jan leads the firm's project management and group management training.
He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and the American Council of Engineering Companies.
Jan offers several areas of technical and management expertise:
- Executive and operations management
- Project management
- Pedestrian and bicycle path structures
- Structural investigation and design
- Reinforced concrete design
- Hydraulic studies
- Bridge hydraulic design
- Economic feasibility studies
- Bridge load rating
- Topographic surveying and mapping
- Bridge type studies
- Bridge and highway design
- Highway and railroad bridges
- Retaining wall design