The Wisconsin Department of Transportation retained Ayres Associates to participate in the design and public involvement for the reconstruction of the US 51/STH 29 corridor from Foxglove Road to Bridge Street in Marathon County. The project included redesigning a 7-mile segment of US 51/STH 29 to expand it from a four-lane divided highway to a six-lane divided highway with auxiliary lanes between closely spaced interchanges. The project also included two system interchanges, six service interchanges, preliminary and final structure plans for 14 grade separation structures, and sign bridge design.
Ayres Associates performed the following services:
- Developed conceptual alternatives for the STH 29 West interchange, including two diamond interchanges, a system-to-system interchange, and two half-diamond interchanges.
- Assisted in a value engineering study with project stakeholders to develop and rank preferred alternatives.
- Prepared preliminary and final roadway design for portions of the STH 29 West interchange in conjunction with two other consultant teams.
- Prepared preliminary and final structure plans for overpass structures.
- Provided lead consultant services for public involvement efforts for the entire corridor, including public information meetings and coordinating and facilitating ad hoc and citizens advisory meetings.
- Assisted with development of project agreements, memorandums of understanding, and jurisdictional transfers for project coordination with local units of government.
- Developed construction staging alternatives.
- Participated on a Corridor Management Team with two other consultant and two WisDOT design teams.