Lincoln County retained Ayres Associates to provide design services for the remodeling of the County’s historic courthouse to convert the building to courts-only use and add a second courtroom and a secure prisoner entrance to the facility. This was the third government services building project that Ayres Associates designed for Lincoln County.
Remodeling of the courthouse involved extensive coordination with the Wisconsin State Historical Society. Much of the interior finishings were salvaged and re-used during the remodeling, helping to preserve the historic nature of the building. An addition to the east side of the building houses a sally port, elevator, and passageways to allow law enforcement personnel to safely escort detainees to the courtrooms, keeping them separate from the general public. The addition features decorative arches and stone trim that match architectural detailing of the 1903 courthouse.
New technology includes cameras in all of the courtrooms, a video arraignment system, and a projection system for displaying evidence to the jury.